[Openid-specs-ab] App2app authorization/authentication

George Fletcher gffletch at aol.com
Tue Oct 8 14:28:02 UTC 2019

It might be possible to extend the Native SSO spec to work across apps
from different vendors using this method.

It seems to me that how the requesting app specifies it's "client_id"
and other authorization parameters is out of scope for the flow. Also,
how an AS decided to honor the authorization request and return a
code:state pair to an intermediary is also not defined within
OIDC/OAuth2. I would expect that the AS will want "client
authentication" from the bank app as well as "client identification" of
the 3rd party app.

 From a standardization perspective, it seems like specifying the
request/response between the 3rd party app and "IdP App" as well as
specifying the special call between the "IDP App" (profile of token
exchange?) would complete the picture.

The Native SSO spec could provide a starting point for how the "IdP App"
identifies the user to the back-end AS in a secure way as well as
possibly the profile of the token-exchange. In the case of Native SSO,
the response of the token-exchange is the actual tokens where in this
case it would need to be the "code and state" values going back to the
3rd party app.

Are there any security issues with the on OS app2app communication that
would allow for cut-and-paste attacks?

Thanks,
George