[Openid-specs-ab] Aggregated and Distributed Claims

Marcos Sanz sanz at denic.de
Tue Mar 5 12:43:35 UTC 2019

Hi Torsten,

> As far as I understand, you discussed distributed claims only and
suggested to do discovery on the endpoint and/or use the claim
> provider’s TLS cert to conduct the check.

originally, the certification software expected the (distributed) claims
delivered by the claims provider to be signed with the same key of the
original IdP. That was not doable, so that's why I suggested to discover
the Claims Provider Userinfo Endpoint together with its JWKS URI and
expect their own claims to be a JWS signed by the latter

AFAIK that's what the certification software does now and using the claim
provider's TLS cert to conduct the check was just an idea, it didn't get
implemented.

> That does not work for aggregated claims.

I don't fully understand this statement. The challenge remains, as before,
to discover the location of the claims providers, and that's a task that
the IdP has to solve, not the RP. If the IdP is capable to return pointers
to the claims providers for the RPs to dig the claims from there
(distributed case), the IdP can certainly also do that work themselves,
put their own signature on it, and deliver it as a whole (aggregated
case).

> I think requiring an iss claim in the JWT is the obvious solution as the
RP can perform signature validation as normal in OIDC.
> BTW: I would suggest the same for distributed claims :-)

How would that exactly look in a distributed claims answer from the IdP
UserInfo Endpoint?

Best,
Marcos