[Openid-specs-ab] OpenID Connect for Identity Proofing (Proposal)

Torsten Lodderstedt torsten at lodderstedt.net
Sat Feb 9 12:41:31 UTC 2019

Hi all,

please find attached a document specifying an OpenID Connect Extension for the purpose of strong Identity Proofing. On behalf of yes.com, I would be delighted to contribute this document to the AB/Connect Working Group.

Background: At IIW I held a session about Identity Proofing with OpenID Connect to get a feeling regarding the communities appetite to standardize an OpenID Extension for this important but also challenging topic. The feedback was tremendous so I started to work on this specification. It is based on yes.com’s experience with strong identity attestation in highly regulated contexts in the European Union, mainly in Germany. For example, it will be used to attest user identities in the context of creating Qualified (Remote) Electronic Signature according to eIDAS. This kind of signature is legally equivalent to a traditional (wet) signature on paper.

The approach taken is focused on fulfilling the business requirements for natural person identification in the EU. So my assumption (and hope) is we together as a WG will refine and enhance the concept to cover the requirements of jurisdictions around the world. I look forward to having productive discussions.

best regards,
Torsten.