[Openid-specs-ab] Comments on Solberg JWT Federation

Mike Schwartz mike at gluu.org
Thu Aug 2 20:10:13 UTC 2018

Andreas,

First question, how did you get twitter handle @erlang ?

Here are some comments, just prima facie:

1. I like the idea to leverage Webfinger. One of my core concerns about
he current OIDC federation draft is that it's too static in a day and
age when we're all using lots of API's. And WebFinger is already used by
OP's that support dynamic configuration, so why not use it? But one
question I have is public clients, for example a javascript application
running in the browser can't host a Webfinger endpoint.

2. Wouldn't it be better for the client to present it's metadata during
dynamic client registration, rather then requiring the OP to call back
to the RP's Webfinger URL at authentication time?

3. Are you also proposing the use of OP,RP metadata for signing_keys,
signing_keys_uri, and signed_jwks_uri ? Another federation challenge is
that key rotation for the jwks_uri happens frequently if you are
following guidelines for best practices (every two days).

4. What about metadata for the federation itself? Perhaps the federation
wants to publish certain guidelines, like what are the SAML attributes
it recommends its participants to support? For example, InCommon
recommends use of eduPerson.

5. How would a client register with the federation to get that
persistent identifier? Or is that out of scope of your proposal?

6. Did you go through the inter-federation use case? Is the data
duplicated? Or does one federation refer back to the other federation?

- Mike

Michael Schwartz
Gluu
Founder / CEO