[Openid-specs-ab] ABSTAIN on the vote to approve Implementer’s Draft of OpenID Connect Federation Specification

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Tue Jul 31 19:11:22 UTC 2018

Phil – you can contribute as a working group member at any time.  There’s no need to wait for one of the Implementer’s Draft votes to submit comments on specifications you care about.  Attend calls.  File issues.  Actively participate in the working group if you want to see specific changes made.

The Foundation-wide votes are about IPR and a final check-and-balance on the working group output.  They’re not where the work happens.

The consensus sought was to seek IPR protections for implementers.  No consensus was sought or assumed that the spec was in any way close to final.  (Indeed, the spec itself makes it clear that it’s not at https://openid.net/specs/openid-connect-federation-1_0-04.html#rfc.appendix.C.)  The two things shouldn’t be confused.

We want implementations to inform our understanding of what works well and what doesn’t so we can iterate.

And yes, once the editors work on Mike’s and Filip’s and other’s comment on the Federation spec, of course we’ll check back to see whether the submitter’s concerns were resolved.

I appreciate that you’re trying to improve things and you’re being listened to.  Hopefully the “How do working groups work?<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__openid.net_wg_about_&d=DwMGaQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=na5FVzBTWmanqWNy4DpctyXPpuYqPkAI1aLcLN4KZNA&m=NnPF7FCLPyqK-nY0vHImj_B3tAO2x17Y_LX70hX3mT8&s=_NiTssWR0ref_upQGYd9QRX0opVB0ViSN8szuUluktA&e=>” doc that you’d requested will help make things clearer and easier for everyone.

                                                                Thanks,
                                                                -- Mike