[Openid-specs-ab] Notes about votes

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Tue Jul 24 00:44:05 UTC 2018

Since there has been discussion triggered by the Federation specification review about the timing and decision processes for making specs Implementer's Drafts and/or Final Specifications, Nat and I thought it would be good to explicitly write down notes about a few current decisions to avoid any possibility of surprise in the future.

At the April 2nd face-to-face working group meeting at Oracle, two decisions were made about advancing Connect working group drafts:

  *   We would seek Implementer's Draft status for the OpenID Connect Federation draft, in light of the multiple implementations already under way.
  *   We would seek Final Specification status for the Session Management, Front-Channel Logout, and Back-Channel logout drafts once the SET specification was an RFC, after a working group last call review.
Both decisions were unanimous among the attendees.  Unfortunately, we failed to publish notes from that working group meeting.  We'll plan to be more diligent about doing this in the future.  Our apologies.

Both decisions were subsequently discussed at numerous working group meetings, with minutes sent to the list.  The decision to seek IPR protections for implementers of the Federation draft was also discussed at these working group meetings:

  *   June 8 http://lists.openid.net/pipermail/openid-specs-ab/Week-of-Mon-20180604/006788.html
  *   June 11 http://lists.openid.net/pipermail/openid-specs-ab/Week-of-Mon-20180611/006796.html
  *   June 21 http://lists.openid.net/pipermail/openid-specs-ab/Week-of-Mon-20180618/006806.html
  *   July 5 http://lists.openid.net/pipermail/openid-specs-ab/Week-of-Mon-20180702/006834.html
Before that, the fact that implementers were implementing and the need for IPR protections for them was discussed at these meetings:

  *   November 27, 2017 http://lists.openid.net/pipermail/openid-specs-ab/Week-of-Mon-20171127/006690.html
  *   February 1, 2018 http://lists.openid.net/pipermail/openid-specs-ab/Week-of-Mon-20180129/006707.html

The decision to seek Final status for the logout specifications was also discussed at these working group meetings:

  *   June 21 http://lists.openid.net/pipermail/openid-specs-ab/Week-of-Mon-20180618/006806.html
  *   July 5 http://lists.openid.net/pipermail/openid-specs-ab/Week-of-Mon-20180702/006834.html
Once a revised version of the back-channel logout spec has been published that addresses a few requests for clarifications, we'll start a working group last call process.

In conclusion, given the discussion record above, there should be no grounds for working group members to be surprised that we are seeking IPR protections for implementers of the currently early draft of the Federation specification, or to say that they had no opportunity to comment on that decision.  That said, if working group members would like additional time to comment on the decision to seek those IPR protections, Nat and I would be fine extending the review period for the specification for another week, in light of the fact that we failed to post minutes from the April 2 meeting.  If, at the end of that period, it is evident to the chairs that the working group consensus is not to seek IPR protections for implementers, we could always cancel the foundation-wide vote.

                                                       Best wishes,
                                                       -- Mike
                                                       (writing one of the Connect working group chairs)