[Openid-specs-ab] backchannel logout: nonce and key

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Sun Mar 26 20:45:07 UTC 2017

Actually, I agree with you.  I’m fine with pulling the normative text about not using “nonce” and only explain why logout tokens and ID Tokens can’t be confused in the security considerations section.  The new thought is that even if a nonce were included for some reason, its value will be different, and so won’t match the nonce value of any authentication request – hence confusion with a valid ID Token isn’t possible.

Experience has shown that talking about nonce this way has led people down blind alleys and caused unproductive discussions.  We should explain why there’s not a problem in the Security Considerations section and leave it at that.

                                                       -- Mike