[Openid-specs-ab] Native apps redirect_uri scheme

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Tue Mar 21 18:00:59 UTC 2017

Can you please file an issue at https://bitbucket.org/openid/connect/issues?status=new&status=open under the Errata milestone proposing specific textual edits to apply?

                                                          Thanks,
                                                          -- Mike

From: Openid-specs-ab [mailto:openid-specs-ab-bounces at lists.openid.net] On Behalf Of William Denniss via Openid-specs-ab
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 10:46 AM
To: Roland Hedberg <roland at catalogix.se>
Cc: openid-specs-ab at lists.openid.net
Subject: Re: [Openid-specs-ab] Native apps redirect_uri scheme

+1 to include HTTPS support.  I think the main point is that there needs to be a distinction between *public* and *confidential* clients, but that using the redirect URI to determine this is a bad idea.

Regarding localhost vs loopback IP literal:

The Native Apps draft recommends using loopback IP literals over localhost, as they are slightly superior.  By default, 127.0.0.1 will strictly receive local traffic only – a desirable security property. It's also immune to hostname resolution issues (it's possible to break localhost resolution).

In my testing with .NET on Windows 10, opening a HTTP listener on "http://localhost" opened a socket on all network interfaces and triggered a firewall dialog – while listening on "http://127.0.0.1" did neither.  I'm sure it's possible to configure which network interfaces to use with "localhost", but what I like about 127.0.0.1 is that you don't have to worry about that.

Since both are simple static constants – and one is better – I recommend the IP literal.