[Openid-specs-ab] Interaction between OIDC Registration and RFC7591

Justin Richer jricher at mit.edu
Thu Oct 13 20:54:26 UTC 2016

Right, the client’s not treating the server’s response as an error, and the client does in fact proceed — by assuming that there is *no* scope value to be sent in the later requests. The server doesn’t allow a blank or defaulted scope value in the authorization request, which makes subsequent connections fail. Should a server that doesn’t allow registration of scope values also disallow blank scope requests?

What should be the guidance for client developers who get back a null or empty value that they expect or want to be there? I don’t think it’s right to special-case the “scope” parameter here, so I’m after general behavior guidance that can be applied to the entire client data model. My interpretation has always been that the client requests and the server dictates the registration model, and the client reacts to that dictated model. The question is now what is the proper reaction?

 — Justin