[Openid-specs-ab] Defining a Hardened (Mix-up and Cut-and-Paste Proof) OpenID Connect Profile

Torsten Lodderstedt torsten at lodderstedt.net
Thu Apr 14 18:47:48 UTC 2016

Hi William,

Am 14.04.2016 um 18:22 schrieb William Denniss:
> extensions to OP:
>
>     - issue ID token in the front channel
>
>     - add c_hash to id token
>

> I would rephrase these two extensions as "supporting the hybrid flow",
> c_hash is a REQUIRED claim for the hybrid flow, the conformance test
> ID for this is: OP-IDToken-c_hash

That's certainly right. I wanted to list all the necessary changes an OP
Basic needs to implement in order to support this profile.

>     Apperently, this solution would not work for plain OAuth.
>     Moreover, I personally think this significantly adds complexity
>     (and cost) to both ends, OP as well as RPs, in comparison to other
>     potential mitigations. Experience shows that complexity is the
>     enemy of correct/reliable implementations, which is esp. dangerous
>     when it comes to security for mass market/internet services.
>

> We have a solution in Connect. We should document that solution.

We have a solution for hybrid OPs, not basic OPs. And as I said, it does
not work for OAuth. So even if a basic OP is extended to become an
hybrid OP, there is no solution for the OAuth use cases, which run on
the same endpoint.

> The Connect solution requires no changes to Connect. The proposal here
> is simply documenting what people should do if they want to mitigate
> these potential attacks.

The proposal might not require changes to Connect, but it requires
significant changes to basic OPs and RPs. That's what I wanted to point
out. There might be a significant difference between what is documented
in a spec and deployed reality. Do we have insights, how many _deployed_
OPs and RPs in the wild nowadays use hybrid flows (code id_token
specifically)?

> I don't believe the Connect WG should be constrained to solve problems
> without using the features of Connect.
>
>     So from my perspective, there are two questions:
>     1) Can we find a solution for OIDC and OAuth (for code)?
>

> That solution may well be: use Connect.  At least, if you wanted to
> solve it today without any spec changes or extensions, that would be
> my advice.

Hmmm, I don't intend to issue id tokens to OAuth clients and I don't
want to make of client any bit harder than absolutely necessary. That
has been the reason for the success of OAuth 2.0 and OpenId Connect.

>     2) Can we make it a simpler one?
>

> I'm listening.

As you said, checking nonce (even on the backchannel) is sufficient to
detect/prevent cut and paste. An alternative solution would be to link
the state to the code and provide the state value for validation to the
token endpoint.

With respect to mix up, there are several potential solutions:
- clients/RPs use different redirect uris for different ASs/OPs (as
originally proposed by the researchers, who discovered the attack)
- provide the client/RP with issuer and client_id as response query
parameters
(https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-oauth-mix-up-mitigation-00#section-3.1)
- provide the client/RP with the token endpoint the particular code is
good for
(https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sakimura-oauth-meta-07#section-5)

best regards,
Torsten.