[Openid-specs-ab] Securing token requests when discovery service is used

John Bradley ve7jtb at ve7jtb.com
Mon Nov 2 02:26:39 UTC 2015

The attack is not on the authentication, it is on intercepting the code and being able to replay it.

Using a key the client is given from  registration to authenticate the request to the token endpoint won’t help because that can just be man in the middled by the attacker as well.

This is also not specific to dynamic client registration.  It just makes it easier.  I could make the client come to a site to register and give it bad endpoints as well.

In Connect if you do a id_token code flow the issuer in the returned token would be wrong for the request so that should actually stop the attack on a client that is validating id_token correctly in that flow.  (allowing late binding per one proposal will make this vulnerable as well I think.

In the code only flow it is much harder to stop because the attacker can register itself and then replay any keys it gets from the real AS.
If the client provides a public key in registration that would help if we used signed requests.

To stop the attack you really need to send the token endpoint URI in the request to the Authorization server, or use a asymmetric pkce challenge verifier.

I haven’t had a chance to organize the options yet.

John B.