[Openid-specs-ab] post_logout_redirect_uri and NOT signing out of the OP

Thomas Broyer t.broyer at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 21:11:54 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 6:25 PM, Mike Jones <Michael.Jones at microsoft.com>
wrote:

>  If the user decides not to log out of the OP, it seems to me like it’s
> up to the OP what to do next.  I agree with you that the
> post_logout_redirect_uri is intended to be used in the case when the user
> is logged out.

OK thanks.
I think the spec should be clarified on this topic.

>  On your question about the id_token_hint not matching the logged in
> user, remember that there may be multiple signed in users.  The intent is
> for the user identified in the id_token_hint to be logged out.  If that
> user is already logged out, there’s nothing to do.

And so if the id_token_hint identifies user A and you're logged in as user
B, the OP would just redirect you to the post_logout_redirect_uri? (but
then the user is still logged in, as user B, so he could possibly be
automatically logged into the RP as user B; this is probably also a problem
if you're logged in with 2 accounts, log out from one of them –identified
in the id_token_hint– and are therefore redirected to the
post_logout_redirect_uri, which could then "inadvertently" log you in at
the RP with your other account that's still logged in at the OP)

Would you have any advice re. whether and when to revoke tokens?
We currently ask the RPs to call the revocation endpoint by themselves, and
don't revoke tokens at the end_session_endpoint (unless you log out of the
OP entirely of course); I wonder what behavior would be the more secure,
and the pros and cons of each approach.
(if the spec could give some guidance about that, that would be great!)