[Openid-specs-ab] Opinions sought about pre-final IETF spec references in errata

Brian Campbell bcampbell at pingidentity.com
Thu Aug 7 22:52:46 UTC 2014

Likewise, I prefer updating the pre-final spec references. My motivation in
asking was only that if there were significant effort or risk in doing an
interim update, it might be worthwhile to wait for the RFCs. But it doesn't
sound like that's the case so updating with this errata makes sense.

On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 11:44 AM, Torsten Lodderstedt <
torsten at lodderstedt.net> wrote:

> I prefer updating the pre-final spec references
>
> Am 07.08.2014 um 19:11 schrieb Mike Jones <Michael.Jones at microsoft.com>:
>
>  We’re soon to publish errata for the final OpenID Connect specs.  Brian
> Campbell asked on today’s call whether we should update the pre-final IETF
> spec references at the same time, given that there have been no breaking
> changes.  As background, the current JOSE specs are at draft 31, whereas
> we’re referencing draft -18.  The new drafts are clearer, but mean the same
> thing.  The one terminology change that would go with this would be
> updating the terms JWS Header and JWE Header to the new term JOSE Header,
> which is what’s used in the current IETF specs.
>

> As further background, as discussed on the call, it could be up to another
> year before the JOSE and JWT specs are final.  The same could be true for
> the OAuth Assertions specs.
>

> Which do you prefer?
>
>   - updating the pre-final spec references
>
>   - making the minimum errata changes possible to the final specs

   [image: Ping Identity logo] <https://www.pingidentity.com/>
Brian Campbell
Distinquished Engineer
  @ bcampbell at pingidentity.com  [image: phone] +1 720.317.2061  Connect