[Openid-specs-ab] Opinions sought about pre-final IETF spec references in errata

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Thu Aug 7 17:11:27 UTC 2014

We're soon to publish errata for the final OpenID Connect specs.  Brian Campbell asked on today's call whether we should update the pre-final IETF spec references at the same time, given that there have been no breaking changes.  As background, the current JOSE specs are at draft 31, whereas we're referencing draft -18.  The new drafts are clearer, but mean the same thing.  The one terminology change that would go with this would be updating the terms JWS Header and JWE Header to the new term JOSE Header, which is what's used in the current IETF specs.

As further background, as discussed on the call, it could be up to another year before the JOSE and JWT specs are final.  The same could be true for the OAuth Assertions specs.

Which do you prefer?
  - updating the pre-final spec references
  - making the minimum errata changes possible to the final specs