[Openid-specs-ab] When to return a JWT from UserInfo Endpoint?

John Bradley ve7jtb at ve7jtb.com
Sun Jun 29 21:55:58 UTC 2014

We didn't consider dynamic content negotiation on the user info endpoint to my recollection.   We assumed that registration would take care of it, if the client wanted something other than plain JSON then it would likely always want signed or encrypted.

Encrypted needs to be by configuration as you don't want an attacker overriding the option and defeating the reason for encryption.

I can perhaps see an argument for dynamic signing, but in general wouldn't you always want it signed if you have the code to verify the response?

I don't see a reason to not allow content negotiation, as long as it doesn't result in downgrade attacks.

John B.