[Openid-specs-ab] Error value for unsupported "response_mode"

Brian Campbell bcampbell at pingidentity.com
Wed Mar 19 19:50:04 UTC 2014

I believe that, given the specs as they are now, "invalid_request"
would bethe proper error value for an unsupported or invalid
response_mode
parameter along with perhaps some explanation in the error_description
parameter value.

As you've seen, there is no "unsupported_response_mode" defined anywhere
and the specs that would have defined it (core or multi response types) are
now final. It probably would have made sense to define a
unsupported_response_mode just for consistency with some of the other
parameters and associated error codes that Connect defines. Omitting a
unsupported_response_mode
error code was likely an oversight but unless we expect clients to take
programmatic action to rectify the situation, I don't think it really
matters. And Discovery does define response_modes_supported as part of
Provider Metadata, which a client can use to figure out what modes are
supported before making a request.

That's my take anyway. But maybe it's an errata candidate or something
along those lines?