[Openid-specs-ab] Issue #911: Discovery - No error response syntax defined for provider configuration Discovery (openid/connect)

Michael Jones issues-reply at bitbucket.org
Mon Dec 16 21:35:12 UTC 2013

New issue 911: Discovery - No error response syntax defined for provider configuration Discovery
https://bitbucket.org/openid/connect/issue/911/discovery-no-error-response-syntax-defined

Michael Jones:

The Discovery spec does not describe any means of returning errors when the GET for provider configuration fails.  Yes, HTTP error codes would be used, but there's no syntax defined for returning an error code, error description, or error uri.

My suggestion would be to use the same error return mechanism as the OAuth Token endpoint - a JSON body with these fields.  I don't think we have to define any custom error codes.