[Openid-specs-ab] Introspection Profile for OpenID Connect

Justin Richer jricher at mitre.org
Fri Sep 13 16:58:08 UTC 2013

There's not a 1:1 relationship between the two tokens, especially if you
consider that the access token might be refreshed or not expire, whereas
the id token must expire. The ID token represents the auth event (and
session, to an extent), whereas the access token represents delegated
authorization to the user's profile information. You could return
attributes about the authentication event that generated the access
token from introspection, but it's important to remember that the access
token isn't meant to be tightly bound to that authentication event. In
fact, it's the entire point of OAuth to loosely bind the authentication
to the access token and make the access token valid when the user isn't
there anymore.

The ID token has a self-contained lifespan (expressed in the 'iat' and
'exp' claims), and if you want to check the session validity, there's a
different spec for that. I had proposed using introspection for session
management a while back but it didn't catch on, so we've got Google's
thing instead.

  -- Justin