[Openid-specs-ab] Draft note to IETF

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Thu Jun 13 16:17:55 UTC 2013

Yes.  Updated below...

To: jose-chairs at tools.ietf.org<mailto:jose-chairs at tools.ietf.org>; oauth-chairs at tools.ietf.org<mailto:oauth-chairs at tools.ietf.org>
Cc: iesg at ietf.org<mailto:iesg at ietf.org>; draft-ietf-oauth-json-web-token at tools.ietf.org<mailto:draft-ietf-oauth-json-web-token at tools.ietf.org>; draft-ietf-jose-json-web-encryption at tools.ietf.org<mailto:draft-ietf-jose-json-web-encryption at tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Liaison statement from OpenID Foundation to IETF on JWT and JOSE

I'm writing on behalf of the OpenID Connect Working Group, in the OpenID Foundation.  We have been working for three years on specifying this identity-federation protocol. Our specifications have reached stability (what we call "Implementer's Drafts") and we anticipate a final vote and approval in the coming months.  We're confident approval will be forthcoming since OpenID Connect is already in production at Google and Amazon, a product has been announced by Ping Identity, a JWT product has shipped from Microsoft, and we expect numerous OpenID Connect and JWT deployments in the coming months.

Our work is dependent on the JSON Web Token (JWT) and the JSON Object Signing and Encryption (JOSE) specifications, products of the IETF OAuth and JOSE working groups.  JWTs have been stable for some time, and code to parse and validate them is widely available in libraries for popular programming languages.  However, progress towards an RFC in JOSE seems slow, which is holding up the JWT RFC in OAuth, and we do not have a clear feeling when this work is likely to complete.  As chartered, the JOSE documents were to have gone to working group last call a year ago and this still has not happened.

Unfortunately, it's not practical for our membership to wait indefinitely, and thus our most likely course of action will be to take dependencies on draft-ietf-oauth-json-web-token-08 and the -11 versions of the JOSE specifications or subsequent versions that are compatible with them when the time comes to publish our final specifications.  It would obviously be preferable for the JWT and JOSE RFCs to be completed in a timely fashion instead.

We bring this to your attention simply because if some other organization were planning to lock in a dependency on one of our earlier drafts, we'd like to hear about it.

-- Tim Bray for the OpenID Connect Working Group and the OpenID Foundation