[Openid-specs-ab] Dynamic Client Registration

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Wed Feb 6 03:11:41 UTC 2013

I've applied the parts of Nat's discussion draft that implement working group decisions to the current registration draft.  Changes applied are:

*        Tracked wording changes intended to better harmonize with the OAuth registration draft

*        Corrected version number to -15.  (Apparently it had been erroneously incremented twice - once by me, once by Nat)

  *   Fixed #746 - Deleted the operation parameter.
  *   Fixed #745 - Deleted the rotate_secret operation.
  *   Changed the Japanese client name to make it sound more natural.
  *   Added optional issued_at response value.
  *   Added client update example.
I did not apply these changes:
*        Moved Terminology section out of Introduction to form an independent section and added several terminology definitions - This would make the section hierarchy of registration different than all the other Connect specs
*        Added Client Read Request (GET) - No working group decision to add this operation
*        Added Client Delete Request (DELETE) - No working group decision to add this operation
*        Added "Self URL" - No working group decision to add this functionality
*        Added _links - No working group decision to add this functionality
*        Added Editor's Notes - We should be tracking issues in the issue tracker instead
*        Cleaned up the indents - Were there were no text changes from the original version, I tried to keep the exact text from the original to facilitate diff'ing the .xml source.  Where there were changes, I tried to keep Nat's .xml formatting.
*        I also did not apply a big unlisted change, which had changed the semantics of Client Update from replace-all-fields to update-only-listed-fields - No working group decision to change this functionality
Justin, it would be good if you applied the changes made in this version to the OAuth registration draft as well, because there were numerous bug fixes - especially in the examples.  (BTW, you can't put more than 70 characters in an <artwork> line or xml2rfc complains when producing the .txt version.)

The .xml, .unpg (unpaginated text), and .html versions are attached.

I'll send a few questions about the current text separately.

                                                            -- Mike

OK. Now I have uploaded the correct Discussion Draft 17.

HTML: http://nat.sakimura.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/draft-openid-connect-registration-1_0.html
diff: http://nat.sakimura.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/openid-connect-registration-1_0-diff-16-17.txt
XML: http://nat.sakimura.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/openid-connect-registration-1_0.xml
TXT (d16): http://nat.sakimura.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/openid-connect-registration-1_0-d16.txt
TXT (d17): http://nat.sakimura.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/openid-connect-registration-1_0-d17.txt

[Changes]

-17 discussion version
*        Moved Terminology section out of Introduction to form an independent section and added several terminology definitions
*        Deleted the operation parameter
*        Deleted the rotate_secret
*        Added Client Read Request (GET)
*        Added Client Delete Request (DELETE)
*        Added "Self URL"
*        Added _links
*        Added Editor's Notes
*        Changed the Japanese client name to make it sound more natural
*        Added issued_at
*        Added client update example (that seems to be missing many parameters that were present in the registration request example)
*        Cleand up the indents
[Remarks]

  *   The operation parameter was removed but since the URL for the registration and other operations are different, there should be no problem in finding out what action should be taken.
  *   The URL for update etc. (Self URL) are given in _links/self/href. For servers' backward compatibility with the current implementations, it could be set like https://server.example.com/connect/register?operation=client_update so that the existing code is likely not break (if the web application framework is putting GET and POST parameters together into an object) or needs only minor change. Clients needs to read this value and store, so it is a bigger change.
Unfortunately, I will be able to join the call only very briefly due to my flight schedule.