[Openid-specs-ab] OpenID Connect: UI language

Vladimir Dzhuvinov / NimbusDS vladimir at nimbusds.com
Sat Feb 2 09:40:43 UTC 2013

I don't think it's a good idea to extend "preferred_locales" to the
auth/consent UI.

As a user I would typically set my UI locale at the IdP site once and
expect it to remain at this setting. Having a client suddenly change
that to some other script/language would be annoying.

If we remember that the authority in this exchange is with the IdP, then
the IdP should be hinting the client which UI locale the user wants to
see, not vice versa. And for that we have the UserInfo "locale" claim.

Vladimir

Vladimir Dzhuvinov : www.NimbusDS.com : vladimir at nimbusds.com