[Openid-specs-ab] OpenID Connect: UI language

Nat Sakimura sakimura at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 01:18:13 UTC 2013

Preferred locale and the language-Script of the claims are not directly
related. For example, when I book a hotel, I routinely need to fill form's
name fields in en-us, ja-Kana-JP, and ja-Hani-JP while the user interface
is in ja-Jpan-JP.

It may be difficult to understand for those of you from a single script
countries, but you need to recognize that there are people who lives with
multiple scripts.

Best,

=nat via iPhone

Feb 2, 2013 9:16¡¢John Bradley <ve7jtb at ve7jtb.com> ¤Î¥á¥Ã¥»©`¥¸:

I just mentioned this on the other thread.

I personally think they are used differently.

Nat can probably speak to this better as someone from a multi script
country.

It is possible that the script you want the claims in is not the script you
want for the UI.   (There are a limited set of languages this applies to I
admit)

In most cases it would be the same but I think it is bad design to confuse
them.

The claim script is about what the RP needs for it's processing , the UI is
what the user needs to interact.  Conflating them is probably a mistake.

John B.