[Openid-specs-ab] Possible MTI fallback position for OpenID Request Object

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Fri Feb 1 17:58:35 UTC 2013

Using real syntax to hopefully make things clear, the fallback position for discussion is that OPs would be required to understand request objects like this one, in which the request parameters are sent in the request object, rather than as HTTP query parameters:

{

"response_type": "code id_token",

"client_id": "s6BhdRkqt3",

"redirect_uri": "https://client.example.org/cb",

"scope": "openid",

"state": "af0ifjsldkj",

"login_hint": "janedoe at example.org",

}

OPs would be required to understand and act upon the "max_age" parameter and should also understand and process the "preferred_locales" parameter:

{

"userinfo":

  {

   "preferred_locales": ["en-US", "fr-CA"]

  },

"id_token":

  {

   "max_age": 86400

  }

}

They would *not* be required to understand requests for specific claims, such as:

{

"userinfo":

  {

   "claims":

     {

      "group_memberships": null,

      "name": {"essential": true},

      "nickname": null,

      "email": {"essential": true},

      "email_verified": {"essential": true},

      "picture": null,

      "favorite_color": null,

      "eye_color": null

     }

  },

"id_token":

  {

   "claims":

    {

     "auth_time": {"essential": true},

     "acr": { "values":["2"] }

    }

  }

}

Putting it all together into a request object using essentially every type of request parameter, the green parts would need to be understood and the red parts would not:

{

[...]

Having reviewed this, we might also choose to simplify this to the following - moving the "preferred_locales" and "max_age" parameters to the top level as follows.  I'll send a separate note about this.  Then the example would become the simpler:

{

[...]

Hope this makes things concrete so that you can have a good discussion with your engineering team.

                                                            -- Mike