[Openid-specs-ab] Behavior if the scope parameter is omitted

John Bradley ve7jtb at ve7jtb.com
Wed Jan 30 22:34:24 UTC 2013

The idea and I thought we were clear on it , was that we don't want to preclude a OAuth AS from serving any other OAuth scopes defined in any way the AS likes.

The if the openid scope is not there then the server can do as it likes.  Thet could be doing connect I suppose though for interoperability sake I wouldn't tell the clients that.

With the openid scope you are guaranteed certain processing that is not part of OAuth.

The language that the server must not do connect if the scope is not there was intended to warn clients and not strictly preclude servers from  doing whatever they like if they are not claiming to be doing connect.

So if there are no scopes the server is free to treat it as anything it likes including Connect, but I don't think that is a good practice for clients who will find themselves breaking on some sites.

John B.