[Openid-specs-ab] Tracking IETF Dynamic Registration

Justin Richer jricher at mitre.org
Fri Jan 4 22:44:16 UTC 2013

I'm OK with leaving that particular functionality on the table if all
the others are taken up, since they are significantly more syntactical
in nature. I am not going to change the OAuth registration semantics to
match Connect in the near future, but I don't think this is a critical
breaking feature and I wouldn't get hung up on it. Clients doing the
normal OIDC-style update will still function just fine against a
DynReg-style server, after all. Changing the parameter names and values
to match and changing the output content of the register/update calls is
much more important to implementors.

With that said, my reasoning for the semantic change is actually tied to
implementation experience. In our server, as with other OAuth2 servers
I've played with, the server actually inserts some missing pieces of
client information with default values on registration, either through
the registration endpoint or through the client registration services
that underlie it.

The only real difference here is the semantics of field deletion. In
OIDC, you delete a field by leaving it out. In DynReg, you delete a
field by sending a blank. (By blank value, I mean "empty string", since
these are all form inputs and aren't parsed for further structure. That
is to say, there are no "null" or "empty list" mechanics at play. I
think that's clear in the draft, if not in my text below, so I apologize
for the confusion.) OIDC has no way for the client to say "leave
something alone", so it has to remember all of its metadata (including
defaults inserted by the server) for it to function properly. This can
leave the server in a bit of a weird state if the client is trying to
update something that's been changed at the server, when the client
doesn't even care about its value.

But if the OAuth WG wants to change the semantics of this operation, I
will be the happy editor and express that in the document. I haven't
seen any discussion to that effect yet, so maybe you can raise the issue
there and get a thread going, see who else has an opinion on the matter.

  -- Justin