[Openid-specs-ab] Tracking IETF Dynamic Registration

Justin Richer jricher at mitre.org
Thu Jan 3 20:54:28 UTC 2013

Since the working group has expressed an intention to ultimately track
the IETF OAuth2 Dynamic Registration [1] protocol with the OpenID
Connect Dynamic Registration [2] protocol, I would like to propose that
we make at least some of the fundamental breaking changes that will come
with this prior to the next Implementer's Draft, which is due in roughly
a week. While the Final version of the OIDC spec will likely be a
normative extension of the IETF document, I propose that we simplify the
transition from both the editor's perspective as well as the
implementer's perspective by making a few key syntactic changes to the
OIDC draft. To wit:

1) change the 'type' parameter to 'operation', because 'type' sounds
like it's another piece of metadata against the client (ie, "client type")

2) change all references from "association" to "register", particularly
the 'client_associate' value becomes 'client_register'

3) change semantics of client field inclusion. Currently all fields must
be included in every client_associate and client_register request, and
are strict overwrites. Absence of a field implies deletion of field
value at server. Proposed new mechanism:
    - if field is included and not blank, update value
    - if field is included and blank, clear value
    - if field is not included, leave current value as-is

4) change client_register and client_update responses to contain all
registered client information instead of just the client_id

5) change the 'application_name' field to 'client_name', to match OAuth

6) I would suggest adopting the 'scope' and 'grant_type' fields with
their currently defined semantics in [1] section 2

7) Add the 'none' value to the 'token_endpoint_auth_method' parameter,
to denote a public client

As you can see, these aren't overly weighty changes from the spec's
perspective, and they're mostly drop-in name replacements from the
implementer's perspective. To make it even easier to accept, I'm willing
to do the spec edits myself if that's desired. (I think I still have
write perms?)

Ultimately, I believe the Final version of the OIDC spec will simply
extend section 2 of the IETF spec and leave the rest as a normative
inclusion, with copious examples.

  -- Justin

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-oauth-dyn-reg-03
[2] http://openid.net/specs/openid-connect-registration-1_0.html