[Openid-specs-ab] December 27, 2012 OpenID Connect Release

Justin Richer jricher at mitre.org
Wed Jan 2 17:28:52 UTC 2013

It surprises me that the very fundamental user_id -> sub breaking change
was introduced in this revision, but the group wanted to hold back on
both registration and discovery until after this publication so as to
limit the number of deep compatibility breaks. I guess what I don't
understand is the willingness to break things in one area but hesitance
in others, especially since the user_id -> sub change came up only very
recently. Don't get me wrong, I'm very much in favor of *all* of these
changes, but I don't understand the logic in how we're deciding what
gets broken and when.

Also, as I recall the discussion, both of these documents were supposed
to have a note at the top of them pointing them to the appropriate
upstream draft (oauth2-dyn-reg and webfinger, respectively) as an
impending change. I can only guess that these notes got lost during the
holiday shuffle and the barrage of JOSE-related changes, but if there's
any good way to get these pointers in place, I believe we should do so.

  -- Justin