[Openid-specs-ab] response_type and nonce

John Bradley ve7jtb at ve7jtb.com
Mon Sep 3 16:13:29 UTC 2012

id_token on it's own is returned fragment encoded in the front channel.

The identity of the requester is implicit through the registered redirect.

Nonce is required in that flow.

The nonce is only not required in the code flow where you are getting the id_token directly from the token endpoint.

It may be better to say nonce is REQUIRED for all response_type except the "code" response_type.

The term implicit flow in the OAuth spec is not well understood.

In fact one could argue that any public client even one using the code response_type is implicitly identifying itself vis it's registered redirect.

John B.