[Openid-specs-ab] Offline access discussion

George Fletcher george.fletcher at teamaol.com
Tue May 22 19:23:11 UTC 2012

A few comments...

1. You are correct that AOL's implementation requires server side
session state. This could be an issue for some IdP implementations.

2. Refreshing tokens via the browser (front-channel) ensures that the
browser is still present. This is useful for the case where the user
just closes their browser. Any associated RPs will not be able to
retrieve an updated access token because there will be no browser
present via which to do the "refresh".

3. Given that AOL wants to support the offline_access concept for native
OAuth2 authorizations as well and OpenID Connect, I think this needs to
stay part of the scope. It seems strange that if a developer is using
OpenID Connect they pass the offline_access value in one parameter but
then use a different parameter if doing OAuth2.

4. Proxying via the front-channel is somewhat more complex than a simple
back channel call be between the RP and the central IdP. At a minimum
front channel requires a js library to manage polling of the shared
"IdP" to maintain fresh tokens, or to refresh a token. Most likely, this
is a code flow which will force the RP to still do a back channel call
to actually retrieve the token.

Thanks,
George