[Openid-specs-ab] Facebook changes offline access

nov matake nov at matake.jp
Thu Jan 26 14:27:04 UTC 2012

My understanding is

In implicit flow
* default expiry is short (same with current spec)
* within several minutes the token established, its expiry can be extended using client authentication and "fb_exchange_token" grant type.

In code flow
* default expiry is longer (60 days)
* same token can be returned if expiry doesn't change from the previous token

I assume they want to require client authentication even for developers using FB JS SDK (= implicit flow).

ps.
They are saying as below in "Server-side OAuth Developers" section.

Note:
The user must access your application before you're able to get a valid "authorization code" to be able to make the server-side oAuth call again.
Apps will not be able to setup a background/cron job that tries to automatically extend the expiration time, because the "authorization code" is short-lived and will have expired.