[Openid-specs-ab] Encryption

John Bradley jbradley at mac.com
Fri Oct 28 14:21:45 UTC 2011

We don't encryption it, but we do support it.

I haven't seen the original paper only analysis of it.

Mike should be able to get it.

I don't think we should panic.   I have known about this for a week or so.

While the problem involves CBC it is not necessarily a CBC algorithm vulnerability in itself.

The problem is likely the xmlenc API error messages and having them reported back over SOAP.

As long as we are careful about not communicating too much in the error message and implementers protect against side channel timing attacks, JWE probably is OK as is with appropriate security considerations.

I would be surprised if the attack works agains AES-CBC + RSA.

It also probably is ineffective agains AES-CBC+keywrap.

Yes GWC is better that is why it was created.

We need the paper before trying to fix things that may not need fixing.

John B.