[Openid-specs-ab] Using UserInfo EP from a Javascript Client (was: Implicit grant and javascript clients)

John Bradley ve7jtb at ve7jtb.com
Wed Sep 28 19:45:30 UTC 2011

The RP is the one at risk.   They windup exciting JS from the IdP.  In openID Connect that may be an unknown IdP that they just registered with.

As I understand it if the OP returns a proper JSON-P response that is not a problem, however the IdP might return other JS that might affect the RP.

Now in the case of an entirely JS client in the browser, there probably isn't much interesting they could do.

However the general concern over having the IdP return a script stands.   Unless we are certain that it will not create a security problem we need to be cautious.

The specific issue was having the user-info endpoint return responses in JSON-P so that a pure JS client loaded from a different domain can access the endpoint.

I am hoping there are better HTML 5 ways to accomplish the same thing.

John