[Openid-specs-ab] Asymmetric client authentication and Question about secret_type: JWT

Edmund Jay ejay at mgi1.com
Fri Aug 26 22:57:59 UTC 2011

This discussion has brought into attention that the secret_type parameter that
is defined in Section 3.1.5 of the superseded HTTP-Redirect Binding spec has
been inadvertently left out of the current Messages and Standard specs.

This parameter is defined for the Token endpoint as a way for clients to
authenticate using asymmetric keys.  OAuth 2.0 only defines symmetric client
secrets for the Token endpoint.

The text for the section is as follows :

Upon receipt of the "code", the           Client requests an Assertion that
includes the "access_token"           and other variables. To obtain the
assertion, the client send the           following parameters via HTTPS POST to
the token endpoint using application/x-www-form-urlencoded format           in
the HTTP request entity-body:

grant_type
>REQUIRED. A string               "authorization_code".
>code
>REQUIRED. The authorization code received               from the authorization
>server.
>
>client_id
>REQUIRED. The client_id of the RP.
>secret_type
>OPTIONAL. Specifies the client               authentication type which
>determines how the client_secret parameter is interpreted. It               can
>be one of "basic" or "JWT". Defaults to "basic".
>
>client_secret
>OPTIONAL. Client Secret. If the               secret_type is "basic", send the
>pre-shared secret. If the secret_type is "JWT",               send the compact
>serialization of the JWT [JWT] Signature over the 'code'.

Andreas says that this is not enough information for implementation.

It was decided that the text should be put back into Messages and Standard.
We can expand the Token endpoint section to talk a little bit more about client
authentication and the differing types (symmetric vs asymmetric).
The secret_type parameter will explain the need for the JWT as a method to
indicate asymmetric client authentication.
The client _secret parameter will be expanded to include where pre-shared
secrets come from and the JSON inputs for the JWT asymmetric signature.

The JSON input should be something like the following :

{
    "code" : "some code value",
    "aud" : "blah blah",  // audience
    "iss"   : "blah blah", // issuer
    "exp"  : "blah blah", // expiration
    "typ"  : "blah blah", // type
    "nbf"  : "blah blah", // valid not before
    "iat"  : "blah blah"  // issued at
}

The last 6 claims are OPTIONAL JWT parameters, but maybe we should REQUIRE it to
make it more secure.
Since this is for the Token endpoint which could accept refresh access tokens
also, we should probably make "refresh_token" a member also.

We should probably also change the Client Registration spec to allow clients to
register asymmetric client secrets.
It will contain the jku (JSON Key URL) and x5u (x509 public key URL) parameters
as defined in JWS or their actual values.

Any thoughts or feedback? Thanks.

-- Edmund