[Openid-specs-ab] Spec call notes 25-Aug-11

Allen Tom allentomdude at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 18:33:18 UTC 2011

Hi Andres,

I think it is important that the user's profile picture be available in
multiple sizes, so I'm glad that the WG is considering this.

I don't think that clients should specify the size using the Accept HTTP
header, since some clients (like javascript clients) may not be able to
easily set the header. It looks like Gravatar, Twitter, and Facebook all use
the technique of specifying a base image URL, with an optional size
parameter. This sounds like a reasonable approach.

Gravatar
(default: 80x80)
http://www.gravatar.com/avatar/2c421806d83cb83b2981933e8efa6e8e
(arbitary size - always square format though)
http://www.gravatar.com/avatar/2c421806d83cb83b2981933e8efa6e8e?s=250

Twitter
http://api.twitter.com/1/users/profile_image?screen_name=atom
http://api.twitter.com/1/users/profile_image?screen_name=atom&size=original

Facebook
https://graph.facebook.com/allentom/picture
https://graph.facebook.com/allentom/picture?type=large

I had proposed that the OpenID Connect profile picture be returned using a
base URL. The default size can be left undefined, but clients are able to
optionally specify the desired size using an optional parameter. In order to
avoid having to specify what "small/medium/large/x-large" means, we can do
something like gravitar and let the client specify the size in pixels.

Allen