[Openid-specs-ab] About ID Tokens being access tokens

John Bradley ve7jtb at ve7jtb.com
Fri Aug 26 18:27:49 UTC 2011

An important issue for RP is perceived latency.  That is why they don't want to have to do a extra round trip to get the id_token.

If you have a JS client that needs an access token as well as a id_token it would need to make two separate implicit calls to at the authorization endpoint.
I suspect that is the biggest problem.  For a server it is also several round trips that each may require user consent.  From a user experience point of view one trip to the OP is enough.

We are running into a OAuth issue.  There should be a standard way to request multiple tokens.
We have half of it sort of.   For response type you can register response_type=code token id_token

To indicate that you want a code, token , and id_token returned in the fragment of the http redirect.

response_type is about what you want in the redirect response not necessarily what tokens you want.

In the case where you only want code in the redirect, scope is about the only place to say that you want a access token for the user-info endpoint and a id_token returned from the token endpoint.

That was why I was proposing that the openid scope be about the id_token and we define other scopes for user-info.

That way scope controls what tokens you want (perhaps others for portable contacts etc), and response_type controls how you get them.

There was a proposal to the allow multiple access tokens to be returned by making it an array or structure.
That didn't happen, so we are on our own to define how multiple tokens are returned.
That makes it more complicated to use standard libraries.    I don't think we are the only ones with this issue

The other issue with treating a id_token as an access token is that some frameworks don't make it easy to get at the contents of the token used to authenticate to the endpoint.
I suspect that is going to be a problem with them using any sort of JWT as an access token.

John B.