[Openid-specs-ab] OpenID Connect Federation updated in preparation for third Implementer’s Draft review

Roland Hedberg roland at catalogix.se
Sat Sep 4 06:25:39 UTC 2021

Hi Pawel,

That a superior can not issue statements about a subordinates claims are by design.
Entities can only make statements about themselves.

Having superiors only being able to issue policies allows the subordinate to evolve its functionality
within the bounds set by the superior.

> On 31 May 2021, at 12:01, Pawel Kowalik via Openid-specs-ab <openid-specs-ab at lists.openid.net> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > For example, the trust chain works differently than what I was used too in X.509. In X.509, the intermediary or trust anchor
> > would issue a certificate binding certain attributes of an entity to the public key of this entity. In federation, the chain starts
> > with a self-signed statement of the entity about itself. The intermediary or trust anchor then seems to vouch for the public key
> > of the entity the respective federation policy is about? That’s not fully clear to me, perhaps I’m the only one.  Moreover, I’m not
> > completely sure I understood how entity statements, metadata and federation api relate to each other and work together.
> >
> > I think an overview describing and motivating the design concepts and principles would be helpful to readers.
>
> We also made a similar observation when trying to employ this specification.
> Namely it is not intuitive how an intermediate or trust anchor could express metadata information about an entity it vouches for.
>
> As per 2.1 metadata claim is only possible if iss==sub, meaning only for the self-statement and forbidden for all other cases.
> The only way an intermediate X may say something about a leaf Y is through metadata_policy by enforcing a value, like in this example:
>
>  "metadata_policy": {
>     "openid_relying_party": {
>       "organization_name": {"value": "NTNU"},
>       "trust_level": {"value": 2},
>     },
>   },
>
> This is however semantically not the same as X issuing a statement that Y has a name of "NTNU" and trust level 2.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Pawel
>

> On Sun, 30 May 2021 at 18:38, Torsten Lodderstedt via Openid-specs-ab <openid-specs-ab at lists.openid.net <mailto:openid-specs-ab at lists.openid.net>> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> here is my review feedback. This is the result of my first full review, I only reviewed the authentication part of this draft in the past. Bear with me if I ask questions or share observations that were already discussed before.
>
> — Design Principles and overall architecture
>
> The draft seems to be based on a lot of experience and a sounding foundation. For me as a first time reader, the concepts and design principles were not that obvious on first read.

> [...]

“The first principel is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool”
— Richard Feynman