[Openid-specs-ab] Verifiable presentation question

Nat Sakimura nat at nat.consulting
Fri May 14 14:54:48 UTC 2021

Thanks, David.

That is very helpful.

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 8:57 PM David Chadwick via Openid-specs-ab <

> Hi Nat
> On 13/05/2021 12:14, Nat Sakimura via Openid-specs-ab wrote:
>
> Thanks, David W and David C, for your help.
>
> Let's just think about the store and forward use-case, where the subject
> obtains VCs in advance and stores them in the Holder.
>
> Its not quite as simple as store and forward as all VCs work in that mode.
> It is defined in the W3C standard to work that way. So without store and
> forward it is not W3C VC compliant.
>
> The question is "are these VCs long lived and revocable (like X.509 PKCs)
> or short lived and not revocable (like OIDC claims)?"
>
> This is a much more interesting question, since the subject ID in the
> first case provides a long lived correlatable handle like an X.509 DN. In
> the second case the subject ID can be created dynamically on a transaction
> by transaction basis.

Right. OIDC generally opted for the latter and I was kind of thinking that
VC is taking the former approach but it seems there are a lot of variations
in VC.

> Since VC MUST identify the subject, it would have a subject identifier in
> it.
>
> Actually the VC standard also supports bearer credentials such as tickets
> to events that belong to whoever possesses them. In this case there is no
> subject identifier.
>

> My Bad. I just misread "A verifiable credential MUST have a
credentialSubject property." in  Section 4.4. The "id" property is optional
so it can be committed.

> Additionally, it may contain a Holder identifier.
>
> How this is performed is currently not standardised. So lets keep it
> simple for now and assume that the subject is the holder.

OK.  One reason I tend to try to delineate Holder and the Subject is that I
do think of a Malicious or Compromised Holder besides PoA etc.

> At a later point in time, Verifier asks for Verifiable Presentation to the
> subject through the Holder.
> Holder creates proof with the consent of the Subject (where is it
> documented?),
>
> this is not documented an any standard as far as I know. The W3C standard
> suggests several ways in which the relationship between the holder and
> subject can be identified, but these are only suggestions.

Hmmm.

> This is why I suggest we keep it simple for now, and only cater for
> subject=holder. Once this is documented to your satisfaction we can move on
> to the more complex cases of delegation of authority and power of attorney
> (guardianship).
>
> constructs a VP that includes claims included in VC and presents it to the
> Verifier.
>
> If the subject is OK to be correlated, the story is simple. However, if
> the subject wants to remain pseudonymous or anonymous, it gets complicated.
>
> It is IMPOSSIBLE for the subject to remain 100% anonymous. The fact that
> the claims (in most cases) contain one or more identifying attributes means
> that some PII is transferred from the issuer to the verifier. Pseudonymous
> is more realistic. Furthermore the issuer always knows who it has issued
> the VC to, and this has a unique serial number.

Re: "IMPOSSIBLE", I suppose you are talking about long term VC. Am I right?

> First, VP can now not include the Subject Identifier, as that would be
> correlatable. Rember that it is pre-issued and not dynamic.
> My questions:
>
> (1) How can Verifier establish the link between this
> subject-identifier-less VC and the proof in the VP?
>
> I dont see how it can. But maybe it does not need to, e.g. if the verifier
> is a ticket collector at a cinema
>

> I see. Thanks.

> (2) How can Verifier verify the signature on VC?
>
> With jwt the verifier gets the signature on the VC to verify. So that is
> easy. The same goes for the VP.
>
> But that is not the interesting question. It is how can the verifier prove
> possession?. There are multiple ways the verifier can independently
> authenticate the holder if it needs to e.g. it can request that its un/pw
> be in the VP, it can look at the photo in the VC and compare it to the face
> of the person presenting the VP etc. But this is outside the scope of the
> W3C standard.
>

> I see.

> Yes, ZKP etc., but then VC itself should not be present in the VP. Even
> the signature itself of VC will break pseudonymity, not to mention
> anonymity.
>
> ZKPs only prove that the presenter knows a master secret and this can be
> shared between multiple users.
>
> (3) Also, if there is a one-to-one relationship between the Holder and
> Subject, Hoder cannot reveal its persistent identifiers or keys.
>
> this is why our implementation uses ephemeral keys

Got it. One of the reasons I wrote about the delineation of the subject and
the holder is that I was wondering if Holders can share the identifiers and
use group signature to avoid the linking of the subject through the holder
identification. Has there been any discussion on something like it?

Best,

Nat

Nat Sakimura
NAT.Consulting LLC