[Openid-specs-ab] Relationship with Claims Aggregation Draft (was Re: Issue #1229: Adoption of the "OpenID Connect for W3C Verifiable Credential Objects" (openid/connect))

Tobias Looker tobias.looker at mattr.global
Thu May 13 03:01:54 UTC 2021

> I would also like to hear from Tobias.

In my opinion the conceptual relationship here is that:

1. The Claims aggregation draft is proposing a new way to request and
convey End-User claims to relying parties in an indirect manner via an
intermediate provider (e.g a wallet/holder depending on your nomenclature).
2. The Credential Provider draft is very much aligned to the Claims
Aggregation draft objectives. However where it differs are the following.
- It describes the vehicle/artifact in which the End-User claims are
communicated via the intermediate provider as being a "credential".
- It setup's the abstraction for "credentials" to come in different
formats, to allow room for other signature and proof types to exist in the
ecosystem (e.g such as W3C Verifiable Credentials).
- It describes how "credential" binding to the intermediate provider can be
performed via cryptography so that the "credential" is not simply bearer in
nature or has to be tied to "just in time" style issuance model where the
claims provider has to be online and available.
3. The OIDC4VCO draft is another proposal to integrate the claims assertion
format that is "W3C Verifiable Credentials and W3C Verifiable
Presentations" into OpenID Connect in a slightly different way.

> Well, I am not sure if that is the case. He commented in the chat "+1
tony I have the same concern" and Tony was clearly talking about the
OIDC4VCO draft.
In addition, he chatted "I agree there are issues Kristina, I dont dont
agree it cannot work though" when Kristina justified new draft instead of
bringing things to the Claims Aggregation draft.

Apologies but I am forgetting the complete context of this conversation now
and what my comments were in direct reference to. In my opinion there are
concepts from all three of these drafts we should be looking to consolidate
together.

Thanks,
[image: Mattr website] <https://mattr.global>
*Tobias Looker*
Mattr
+64 (0) 27 378 0461
tobias.looker at mattr.global
[image: Mattr website] <https://mattr.global> [image: Mattr on LinkedIn]
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/mattrglobal> [image: Mattr on Twitter]
<https://twitter.com/mattrglobal> [image: Mattr on Github]
<https://github.com/mattrglobal>
This communication, including any attachments, is confidential. If you are
not the intended recipient, you should not read it - please contact me
immediately, destroy it, and do not copy or use any part of this
communication or disclose anything about it. Thank you. Please note that
this communication does not designate an information system for the
purposes of the Electronic Transactions Act 2002.

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 5:13 AM Jeremie Miller via Openid-specs-ab <