[Openid-specs-ab] Issue #1230: Adopt Presentation Exchange as an officially supported mechanism within SIOP (openid/connect)

Torsten Lodderstedt torsten at lodderstedt.net
Sat May 8 12:03:46 UTC 2021

Hi Daniel,

thanks for bringing this topic up.

The authors of OIDC4VP (https://github.com/awoie/vp-token-spec) have been thinking about incorporating PE as building block to benefit from the previous work done at DIF. We are seeking for the simplest possible way to leverage VPs via OIDC that can easily be used by any developer according to OIDC’s principle of “making simple things simple and complex things possible”.

However, it seems PE has a lot of overhead in comparison to a OIDC “native” solution due to the transport agnostic and flexible approach taken. OIDC already has a mechanism for requesting claims and ways to deliver them. What is needed in my opinion are ways to request credentials/presentations (including specific claims from those - selective disclosure) and places and representations to deliver them. As far as I see, elements of PE could address the first requirement (through primitives in input_descriptors and submission_requirements) but does not address the latter.

Could you please explain how you envision DIF PE to be integrated with OIDC in a developer friendly way?

thanks in advance,
Torsten.