[Openid-specs-ab] OpenID AB/Connect WG Meeting Notes (2021-02-15)

Jeremie Miller jmiller at pingidentity.com
Mon Feb 22 21:32:40 UTC 2021

> https://bitbucket.org/openid/connect/wiki/Connect_Meeting_Notes_2021-02-15_Pacific
>
> > Conclusion was that there is a lot of overlap and functionality between
> the specs. The goals of both specs are identical : allow holder/wallet/SIOP
> to acquire credentials/claims from a credential/claims provider and present
> them to a RP.
> > Decided to merge the specs into one and merge functionalities into
> credential provider spec.

While the goals of both do overlap, I believe it’s important early in this
merger to be as crisp as possible with the language and building blocks.

I find the phrase “Credential Provider” hard to digest as there are two
very distinct phases, issuing credentials and presenting credentials.  The
requirements for each are clearly separate, the trust and communications
from an Issuer to a Holder will vary significantly from those when a Holder
is presenting to a Verifier.

These roles aren’t necessarily a convenient 1:1 mapping either.  While it’s
easy to see overlap between an OP as an Issuer and SP as a Verifier, in a
deployment what we call an OP/SP today may implement any of
Issuer/Holder/Verifier roles.  I propose that we use distinct role names
within the merged spec.

Jer

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 7:17 PM Edmund Jay via Openid-specs-ab <

> The notes for the 2021-02-15 meeting is located here :
>

> https://bitbucket.org/openid/connect/wiki/Connect_Meeting_Notes_2021-02-15_Pacific

computer. Thank you._