[Openid-specs-ab] Discussion questions for SIOP special topic call today

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Tue Feb 2 21:43:28 UTC 2021

I won't be able to attend today's SIOP special topic call (Becky and I are travelling all day to get our initial Covid-19 vaccinations!), but I wanted propose some discussion questions for today's call.  They pertain to the portable identities topic and the business case for it.

  1.  What are the use cases motivating portable identities?  Who do they provide value for and what is the nature of that value for each party?
  2.  There's plenty of evidence that normal people don't care about portable login identifiers:  The last time the industry took a shot at this was i-names, resulting in very small numbers of identifiers being registered.  And even most OpenID 2.0 sites didn't do the incremental protocol work to accept them.  Why should we believe that another attempt at portable identifiers will have a different outcome, whether for adoption by people, adoption by RPs, or adoption by OPs?
  3.  Would using portable identities require changes to OpenID Connect RPs?  What would those changes be?
  4.  Would using portable identities require changes to OpenID Connect OPs?  What would those changes be?

Fundamentally, I believe the key questions for portable identities are business and adoption questions - not engineering questions.

I hope that my questions above can be discussed on the call and the resulting discussions captured in the minutes, and in a recording.  Have a good call!

                                         Thanks and best wishes!
                                                       -- Mike