[Openid-specs-ab] Defining JWT Claims to represent W3C Verifiable Credentials objects

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Thu Apr 8 00:25:18 UTC 2021

In our discussions over the past few months, it's become clear that there are multiple use cases where different forms of W3C Verifiable Credential objects will be communicated as JWT claims (or as UserInfo Endpoint claims).  I had a useful conversation with Oliver Terbu and Kristina Yasuda this week during which we agreed that it would be useful to write a short, focused specification defining and registering JWT claims enabling standard representations for this purpose.  These claims could be used both by SIOP use cases and other use cases.

Bear in mind that the W3C Verifiable Credentials specification defines two representations of the objects that it defines - JWT and JSON-LD and it also orthogonally defines two kinds of objects - Verifiable Credentials and Verifiable Presentations.  Thus, there are actually four different data types that these use cases might want to utilize.

I would therefore propose the following four claim definitions for these purposes:

  *   vc_jwt:  A claim whose value is a W3C Verifiable Credential object using the JWT representation, which is a JSON string.  The claim's value may also be an array of W3C Verifiable Credential objects using the JWT representation if the use case calls for multiple JWT VCs.
  *   vp_jwt:  A claim whose value is a W3C Verifiable Presentation object using the JWT representation, which is a JSON string.  The claim's value may also be an array of W3C Verifiable Presentation objects using the JWT representation if the use case calls for multiple JWT VPs.
  *   vc_ld:  A claim whose value is a W3C Verifiable Credential object using the JSON-LD representation, which is a JSON object.  The claim's value may also be an array of W3C Verifiable Credential objects using the JSON-LD representation if the use case calls for multiple JSON-LD VCs.
  *   vp_ld:  A claim whose value is a W3C Verifiable Presentation object using the JSON-LD representation, which is a JSON object.  The claim's value may also be an array of W3C Verifiable Presentation objects using the JSON-LD representation if the use case calls for multiple JSON-LD VPs.

Let's discuss this proposal during the European-friendly Connect call ~13.5 hours from now.

                                                       -- Mike