[security] MITM attacks on OpenID direct verification and association

thayes0993 at aol.com thayes0993 at aol.com
Wed Feb 14 10:09:53 PST 2007

 Who said anything about setting up a fake OP? I'm talking about putting a proxy in front of either the RP or the OP (exactly the situation that applies when modifying the direct verfication).

 The proxy has to work only slightly harder, by modifying "associate" request/responses (directly between RP and OP) and assertions delivered from the OP to the RP by way of the browser.

 Please read the security section of the spec again. The protocol relies on DNS and the security of the transport. That's it. That's what makes it easy to deploy.

 Terry