[Marketing] Food for thought

Mark Atwood me at mark.atwood.name
Fri Jul 6 04:18:47 UTC 2007

"Bill Washburn" <bill at oidf.org> writes:

> At any rate, without knowing more about the project requirements, I would
> suggest steering your client toward enabling their site with OpenID and
> looking into interfacing specifically with AOL, Yahoo, Google and Facebook
> if they need more in-depth user information from site to site.
> posted by annathea <http://www.metafilter.com/user/824> at 3:29
> PM<http://ask.metafilter.com/66177/Isnt-that-what-OpenID-is-for#994019>on
> July 3

A solution to interoperating with the sites with available auth
protocols but not yet OpenID is to build a auth translator for
them, similar to what was built to auth against Yahoo.

Then hack the project's OpenID login process to look to see if the
domain is one for one of the auth translators, then rewrite the OpenID
URL, and then pass it to the gateway.

Ugly, but also neat.

Then as each one of those sites implements being an OpenID provider,
shut down each translator and take the "bypass" out of the login.

--
Mark Atwood                 When you do things right, people won't be sure
me at mark.atwood.name         you've done anything at all.