[Marketing] Bullet points in the OpenID core message...

Mark Atwood me at mark.atwood.name
Mon Jul 2 19:27:12 UTC 2007

"Bill Washburn" <bill at oidf.org> writes:

> Can OpenID hurry up
> already?<http://www.somebits.com/weblog/tech/bad/user-ids.html>
> willing to trust a big company like Yahoo, Microsoft, Google, even
> my ISP to maintain my identity.  Can we do it now please?

Another OpenID advocate I talked about this with last weekend
pointed out to me that a common pushback he got was "we dont
want to trust some random outfit with our users's identity".

He pointed out that if you have a "I forgot my password, please
email me a new one" button, you are already trusting some
random outfit with your users identity, you're trusting his
email provider.

"Please email me a new password" has pretty much the same security
profile as OpenID, it's just slower and with a worse user experience.

--
Mark Atwood                 When you do things right, people won't be sure
me at mark.atwood.name         you've done anything at all.