[Marketing] core message platform (CMP) discussion

Andrew Tomlinson adt at cannontomlinsonbyrne.com
Tue Aug 21 17:22:29 UTC 2007

There is a good mixture of points in there for a variety of audiences. Here
is a go at categorising as per openid.net homepage (with a couple of extra
bullets thrown in):

What is OpenID?

1.   A decentralized, open source mechanism for single sign-on ...
2.   An way to eliminate the "I have far too many user names and passwords"
pain
13.  OpenID enables single registration
*    It is more secure than username and password

Who Owns or Controls OpenID?

7.   OpenID is not proprietary and is freely available to/for all website
operators
9.   OpenID technology is not owned nor controlled by any company or
government agency
10.  OpenID is fully open source - no need to worry about any "lock-in"
problems later.
*    Strong community support
*    You can run your own server

What other services can my provider give me?

4.   Your own identifier which other people use to find only you on the web

5.   A web location where others know that "you are you"
*    Your provider can remember which sites you have given what personal
details to

How does it work?

3.   A way to show you own/control/are associated with a URL/URI
6.   A public, scalable identity protocol everyone can use for free
8.   An elegant and simple identity system for individuals
11.  OpenID is light-weight
12.  With OpenID, user credentials are only stored by OpenID providers
14.  OpenID enables easy registration for posting blog comments
*    The best thing is that the technology is available and working and can
be used now

The first section is the main message. Getting that right is the key. Doing
it in a way meaningful to a non-technical audience is not easy.

Out of interest what is the process going to be for developing the marketing
message - who will have the final say?

Andrew