[legal] OpenID logo in DFSG-compliant open source

Art Cancro ajc at uncensored.citadel.org
Wed Jan 21 16:47:43 UTC 2009

Hello legal team,

Since we're already discussing legal uses of the OpenID logo, I'd like to
bring up a related topic.

Is there a legal statement somewhere which states that OpenID implementations
are allowed to include the logo?  We include OpenID Relying Party support in
the Citadel groupware server [http://www.citadel.org], and the logo is in
use, as per the usual recommendations.  The problem we are experiencing is
that we have some downstream packagers who are building Debian packages, and
as might be expected, the Debian people are complaining about the fact that
the OpenID logo may be unlicensed and therefore unacceptable to include in
the package.

If possible, could the OpenID legal team provide a license or other statement
officially authorizing the use of the logo in software packages which
implement the standard?  The same people who brought us such gems as
"IceWeasel" are already talking about using an alternate logo, which in my
opinion dilutes the value of OpenID.  It is my understanding that one of
OpenID's goals is for people to instantly recognize the logo and know that
they can use their OpenID wherever they see it.  Please take note of this
threat to that goal and consider releasing an appropriate license statement.

Thanks for your time.

  Art Cancro <ajc at citadel.org>