[legal] Questions about OpenID Europe Trademark Policy

Snorri snorri at snorri.eu
Sun Mar 9 12:57:00 UTC 2008

+1 Martin
= It is exactly that!

-Snorri

-----Message d'origine-----
De : legal-bounces at openid.net [mailto:legal-bounces at openid.net] De la part
de Martin Atkins
Envoyé : dimanche 9 mars 2008 12:33
À : legal at openid.net
Objet : Re: [legal] Questions about OpenID Europe Trademark Policy

Hans Granqvist wrote:
>> There has been a lot of conversation about the use of the TM symbol, all
>> lawyers explain that it is important to write it
 to avoid in the future
>> OpenID become a word like "kleenex", "email"

> But... Don't you *want* that to happen?
>
> "Nobody should own this. Nobody's planning on making any money from this."
> and all that, you know.

Presumably the concern is that other non-OpenID but identity-related
things could become known as "OpenID" as well. Other examples include
people calling Atom "RSS", and calling Pepsi "Coke".

The goal is to protect the trademark to avoid confusion in the
marketplace, not as a source of income.

(At least, that *should* be the goal! I don't speak for OpenID Europe.)