[legal] Meeting Notes from June 5th

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Sun Jun 17 23:46:28 UTC 2007

Gabe,

My thinking was based on the recognition that OpenID's goal was intended
to be (quoting the initial intent) 'to release every part of this under
the most liberal licenses possible'.  If the license you choose is not
compatible with the GPL and BSD licenses, I think you are making a big
step away from the initial intentions around licensing.

If the above isn't a sufficient argument, there are practical situations
where GPL compatibility is an issues.  Examples from the top of my head:

* Documentation.  Plenty of documentation is available under the GPL.
  Being able to incorporate portions of the OpenID specification, to
  explain the OpenID concepts, is useful.  I see no reason why this
  shouldn't be allowed, and plenty of reasons to allow it.

* Code-like parts.  Some portions of the specifications is actually
  things that MUST be included in implementations.  I'm thinking mostly
  of the XML schema, but there are other examples, such as example XML
  snippets or example code.

* Including the OpenID specification in distributions such as Debian or
  gNewSense.  Debian evaluate the license of everything that goes into
  their distribution based on the DFSG, and things determined to be
  'non-free' by them won't be included in the main archive.

Licensing the specification under a set of licenses that include
the(L)GPL, BSD, CC-BY, etc will help to avoid legal headaches for
implementers and distributors of OpenID.

Thanks for your consideration,
Simon