[legal] Meeting Notes from June 5th

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Fri Jun 15 14:30:58 UTC 2007

Hi!  I reviewed the copyright aspect of the policy, and it looks good
generally.  The only thing I can suggest that you could spend time
thinking more closely about is:

* Exactly which license are you going to use. A 'Creative Commons'
style license may imply restrictions for commercial use, which I
believe would be unfortunate.  There is also a problem with the CC-*
licenses that it may not be compatible with GPL and other free
software licenses, I believe Debian may consider CC-* as non-free.

I humbly suggest that you triple-license the standard under the CC-
BY, the GPL, and the revised BSD license.  If you want brevity, you
could quad-license it, with the fourth license being the following
brief license (the GNU project recommends this for certain works):

Copying and distribution of this file, with or without modification,
are permitted in any medium without royalty provided the copyright
notice and this notice are preserved.

* Be aware that the IETF copyright rules by default forbid external
copyright notices.  Copyright notices are required to be present on
all copies according to most (if not all) free licenses (including
CC).  If the IAB is queried, the IETF may make an exception (although
they have refused to make exceptions in the past).  This means that
you'll have to ask the IAB to make an exception for adding the
copyright notices for each OpenID specification contributor if the
OpenID specification is ever offered to the IETF.

Alternatively, and perhaps easier, is to require that OpenID
contributors license their contribution under a dual-license of
(e.g.) CC-BY (and/or all of the above licenses too) _and_ a license
that allows the work to be submitted into the IETF.

Thanks,
Simon